Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day Tripper Top by Shwin Designs

Hello! It has been a looong time between posts. It is such a crazy time of year for me at the moment. I'm lecturing again after having five years (!) off and it has thoroughly surprised me how much it is kicking my butt. Looking forward to the end of semester in two weeks!

I have been doing some sewing, just finding it hard to blog my makes. I made the Day Tripper Top by Shwin Designs about a month ago, out of a wool knit from Anna's stash that was originally from Tessuti.


I made a size small. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to adjust for length. I usually do, but I really like the length of this version. It is the perfect length for wearing with my Cue work pants. In this lovely wool knit it is also a very cosy and toasty top - almost like a jumper. I am seriously lacking things like this in my wardrobe. I actually had to purchase two wool jumpers (from Elk) to assist in keeping me warm. Melbourne has just gone through a cold snap (though it is pretty warm at the moment) and I was completely freezing.
 


I like how it dips down at the back - like a mullet top!
 

I did encounter one issue. When I attached the neck band, it gaped very badly. It stood up at the shoulder seams, making it look like a bad funnel neck. The neck band is a rectangle folded in two - I think this is why. I think it needs to be shaped. To fix it, I unpicked the neck band at the shoulder seams and essentially made a dart in the fabric to contour it to my neck. This worked on the whole - there is still room for improvement though.


The sleeves and hem are finished with bands - I think this makes it look nice and professional. I was going to do a twin-stitch around the neck, sleeves and hem bands but this wool knit is quite dense and spongy so I simply did a single row of stitching to secure the seam allowance. I think it only needs one row.

I really like this top and would recommend the pattern - on the proviso that you fix the neck band. I am tempted to make another, or maybe the Perri Pullover? Hard decision.

I'm in the thick of making my French Jacket and Ruthy's engagement party dress at the moment though, so all other winter sewing is on the back burner! What are you making?

10 comments:

  1. This looks so cozy! Perfect for winter.

    I'm not sewing anything at the moment. I've got the stropps with my machines and sewing in general. Hurumph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really nice and totally toasty! Do the Perri next…I Have the pattern all cut out and ready to go but then realised I didn't have enough fabric. Doh! Maybe we should have ourselves a mini-challenge! All friendly like….

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how this sits off the shoulder and you've done a great job on fixing the neck. I've got nothing on the go. I've ditched my Tokyo jacket for now and have lost my enthusiasm for sewing up pants so I'm waiting for the next shiny bit of fabric to take me fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, nice pattern and fabric, generally i like very much your blouse :)
    I sewed similar blouse few days ago:
    http://sznurkowanie.blogspot.com/2014/05/26-nietoperzowa-nr-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful knit fabric! I'm starting into my merino haul. First up is the coppelia cardy from papercut patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a plan! Do you have fabric ready? I don't so may need to go get something… Let me know. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Nope, I don't have fabric. I want something cuddly with a bit of body. Thornberry made one for her daughter out of fleece and I got to see it in person - it stood away from her body slightly and was super cool. What fabric are you thinking of? I need inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was making it from some gorgeous silk twill from tessuti but I got myself in knots trying to pattern match and keep things all lined up with the slippery fabric. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lovely pattern on you (barring that naughty neck binding) and I love the colours in the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Miss Rachel, I have found some fabric (not enough) and have ordered something to go with it today. Email me when the project is back on your radar (ndinesatmedotcom) and I'll keep you updated on fabric arrival.😊

    ReplyDelete